Friday, December 21, 2007

My Mom

I just read this post from Blurbomat, and it really hit close to home for me. My Mother has suffered with depression all her life. Really, it probably took me until about 3 years ago to really make it click in my head that some things are just out of your control. I always had the thought in my head that she just needs to get over this. Now I really understand that it is an illness. My Mom's life started out promising and wonderful. My Grandfather was a barber and respected businessman in his community (miss you Chalmer). My Grandmother, I never knew because she passed away when my Mom was 11. The day before her 12th birthday. Sad isn't it? My Mom was instantly turned into the "woman of the house" because back in the 50's that is how things were. Well, by the time she was 17, she was ready to get out. Next thing you know, she's 19, married and has a child. I came along next! I guess after I was born was her first breakdown. Then my father died in a car accident. So another breakdown. Really, after all that, who could blame anyone for breaking down? After a few crazy years, she had another child and another breakdown. Then came my step father. I think overall, he really knew how to take care of things. They married and decided to have a child. Well, another breakdown followed. I remember after this time, laying on my bed crying about my Mom, why her. I was probably 10 or 11 and I just wanted her to be home. Funny how you forget those things! She's had a couple more, and when my step Dad left her, well the "caretaker" was gone. My sister and I struggled to care for her. As I said, I wasn't the most objective one! She did fine on her own for a couple years, then it caught up with her. It got so bad, she finally was admitted into the hospital and then on to a nursing home. She is doing ok now, better than anyone ever expected, but I know deep inside, she wishes her life was different.

I hope for Jon and Heather that they can continue to work together on this illness and keep striving to make things work. I know it is tough on everyone in your life!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love you sis! I too forget that you, Dawn and Andy got the brunt of this stuff after I left for the Military....

Sometimes I think we are stronger from all of this!

Love you!

Carl